Read through our internet FAQs for help troubleshooting common issues. If you do not find the information you need to resolve your problem, please contact MCTV for additional support.
Can I purchase a cable modem from MCTV or use my own modem?
A cable modem is required to use MCTV’s High-Speed Internet service. We believe the modem is an integral part of the service so we provide one free of charge. Many companies charge a monthly fee for cable modem equipment. MCTV does not.
MCTV provides a cable modem at no extra charge to all Internet customers. Providing equipment gives us much better insight into how the network and your service is performing and ensures that no harm comes to the network through use of external modems. We also provide free replacement, service and upgrades for MCTV-provided modems.
You can purchase and use your own modem. If you do, it is important to remember that you will be responsible for the repair, maintenance and replacement of the modem if it fails.
If you use your own modem and experience in-home problems, MCTV will not attempt to repair your modem. Instead, MCTV will provide an MCTV modem until you are able to repair or replace your own modem. You may, of course, choose to continue to use the MCTV-provided modem at no charge. Read more about customer-owned modems and approved modems.
Can I install the cable modem myself?
No, we do not allow self-installations for our services. When our installers visit your business, they will make sure everything is installed properly and that the modem is receiving the correct signal levels.
Customers providing their own modem for Internet service will still need to schedule an installation.
What is a cable modem?
A cable modem is a device that connects your computer to the Internet using the same cable that supplies your cable TV service. A cable modem will not affect your television picture and you will be able to watch TV and use all other TV functions while using the Internet. Likewise, watching TV while using the Internet will not affect your Internet speeds.
What do I need to do if I install a new network card or wireless router?
You will need to reset the modem. You can reset the modem yourself by unplugging it from the power source for 20 seconds. You can also call our office at 330-833-4134/330-345-8114 to reset the modem.
How can I check my @sssnet email?
There are several ways to check your email. Any program that supports POP3 can be used to check your @sssnet.com email.
Many devices come pre-installed with an email program that can easily be set up to work with your @sssnet.com email. Other free programs include Windows Essential (formerly Windows Live Mail), Mac Mail and Thunderbird. Depending on the device and program, you can create address books, file messages and customize your email signature. Customers are encouraged to do their own research before installing any program on their device.
You can also check your email online from any device at http://quickpop2.sssnet.com. Simply enter your username (the part before @sssnet.com) and password to check your mail. If you are using a public computer, be sure to log out once you’re done. You can only send and receive emails using this program. It does not have an integrated contact list or many of the features other email programs have.
What are the correct email settings for an @sssnet.com email address?
You can use these settings to set up your email on any device. For instructions on setting up email on a specific device, please refer to your device’s user’s manual.
Port 110 (Without SSL) or Port 995 (With SSL)
Port 25 (Without SSL) or Port 465 (With SSL)
Requires outgoing authentication (using the same settings as your incoming server)
Your ‘Username’ the portion of your email address in before the @sssnet.com.
I do not have cable TV service from MCTV. Can I still get your High-Speed Internet service?
Yes! You can have Internet service from MCTV without subscribing to other services. However, many customers find that they save money when bundling two or more products together so be sure to ask a representative about packaging your services.
Learn more about our High-Speed Internet packages.
Can Internet service be upgraded at any time?
MCTV cable modem-based service does not lock customers into a certain speed so you can change your service level at any time. To upgrade your Internet speed, call us at 330-833-4134/330-345-8114. Depending on your current service level and equipment, upgrading may be as simple as a phone call.
How can I test my internet speed?
On the Internet, speed is measured in bits per second (bps). A kilobit per second (kbps) delivers 1000 bits per second and a megabit per second (Mbps) is 1,000,000 bits per second.
Download speed is the time it takes for your computer to access a webpage from a server. Downloading documents, purchasing songs or streaming videos are all examples of downloads. So, with a download speed of up to 50 Mbps with MCTV’s 50 Mbps service, you can download a picture more five times faster than you could with 10 Mbps service.
Upload speed is the time it takes for your computer to send information to a remote computer. Posting a video or picture on a sharing site are examples of uploads. The faster the upload speed, the faster your video or picture will be posted.
Things that could affect your speed:
- Time of day and site you’re visiting. During peak hours in the evening and on weekends, overall Internet traffic is higher causing more congestion. Popular sites, like video streaming sites, can also become congested when they have high traffic.
- Multiple devices connected to the Internet. Especially if multiple devices are using a large amount of data at the same time such as streaming videos.
- Automatic updates or syncing with the cloud. Many smartphones and tablets are set to constantly check for email messages, communicate with a cloud or check for updates. If you have several devices doing this it can cause your Internet speed to slow down. The best remedy is to turn off automatic updates and/or set your email to check for messages less frequently. Refer to your device’s owner’s manual for instructions to change these settings.
- Online data backups, including Carbonite and iCloud/iTunes syncing, should be set to run during off-peak hours when you are not using your device.
- Adware and spyware on your computer will create a constant stream of pop-up ads causing your entire computer to run more slowly.
- Computer hardware including processors, hard drives and network cards can impact the speed at which your computer can process Internet data.
- Operating systems that have become corrupted, misconfigured or inefficient due to age. Operating systems become inefficient through age or extensive use which can affect your Internet speed.
- Your cable modem’s location. If the signal delivered to your modem is too strong, too weak or too noisy, your Internet service can be affected. Our technicians will test the Internet signal on the cable line where we install your modem. Moving the modem or adding a splitter to this line may cause issues. Please notify MCTV if you need to move your modem or make changes to your wiring.
Test your Internet speed.
My Internet isn't working. What should I do?
Before calling our office, you can try rebooting your modem and/or wireless router. To reset the equipment, unplug it from the power source for about 20 seconds and plug it back in. It may take several minutes to completely reboot so be patient!
If you have a wireless router, reset your modem first and then reset your wireless router.
If this does not solve the problem or you are unable to reboot the equipment, call our office at 330-833-4134/330-345-8114.
During normal office hours, your call will be answered by one of our representatives and we will get someone to your home as soon as possible-usually that very same day. If it is after hours, your call will be recorded and returned the following day. Please make sure to leave your name, address and phone number when leaving a message.