About MCTV's Organization of the Month
Charitable behavior can lead to psychological, spiritual, and emotional well-being benefits for the giver. Besides helping the community and being a part of a greater good, charitable donations are tax deductible, can give you a sense of purpose and can help keep you informed about issues of social injustice. Each month, MCTV highlights two local non-profit organizations. We have donation boxes set up in our lobbies and have information on our websites about each charity, along with links to their respective websites. MCTV’s commitment to charitable causes creates new ways for you to find, learn about, and support local charities. We try to make a bigger difference in the causes you care about the most and become partners with the organizations in order to bring about change. Donate with confidence to these organizations. They are low-risk organizations, have targeted goals, function with good governance and have transparency policies. To learn more, visit our community involvement page.
Christian Children’s Home of Ohio
For more than 45 years, Christian Children's Home of Ohio has been the hands and feet of Jesus Christ to children and families across Ohio. From our humble beginnings in 1969, when we operated one foster home to our expansive organization today, hundreds of deserving kids and adults are served at any given time by our professional staff of 150 employees.
The organization was founded by concerned, caring individuals affiliated with the independent Christian Churches/Churches of Christ movement who wanted to bring Christ to bear on at-risk children and dysfunctional families. CCHO receives oversight from a voluntary board of trustees.
Our Mission, Vision and Values
The mission, vision and values represent who Christian Children's Home of Ohio is at our core, what we're doing every day, and where we're headed in the future. These three elements are the basis and motivation for everything we do, as they guide decision making and actions in every aspect of our ministry.
MISSION: Bringing healing to hurting children and families in His name.
VISION: To be the organization of choice in Ohio providing services that transform lives, families and communities.
- Faith; Confident belief in the Truth as defined in Holy Scriptures (2 Timothy 3:16).
- Excellence; Every day, we will deliver service better and more effectively than the day before (Ecclesiastes 9:10)
- Creativity; Pursuit of the best options, ideas and solutions for offering hope (Proverbs 3:6)
- Passion; Deeply held, intense feelings with courage to action, doing whatever it takes (Mark 6:34)
- Stewardship; Daily management of resources and care of the whole person: body, mind, spirit and soul (2 Corinthians 9:8)
CCHO Programs and Services
The professional programs and services are open to individuals and families at 14 locations in central and northeast Ohio.
- Children's Residential Center (located on our 165-acre Wooster campus)
- New Beginnings Christian Counseling (13 offices in Ohio)
- Foster Care and Adoption
- CityHill Home-based Services
- Poplar Ridge Adventures
- Poplar Ridge Stables
- Esperanza de Ana (Hannah's Hope) in Chilca, Peru
Volunteer at the Christian Children’s Home of Ohio
There is a place for you at the Christian Children's Home of Ohio! Volunteering gives you an opportunity to change lives, including your own. Donating your time is a great way to feel like you have the power to change things for the better. All volunteers receive a brief overview and introduction to our programs offered. To volunteer, call 330-345-7949 or e-mail email@example.com.
- Maintenance / Upkeep: Individual and/or group who work to maintain and improve the quality of our cottages, grounds, and office buildings. This volunteer would provide the skills and effort needed to accomplish maintenance, special building, and repair projects.
- Campus: Volunteers provide indirect assistance to the cottages and teaching parents, as well as support to administrative staff. This volunteer will work to assist with cottage or office needs. Providing freezer meals or helping with a bulk mailing is an example of how a Campus Volunteer can make a difference.
- Events: This category includes groups and individuals that come on campus to work special events. Food servers and a clean-up crew are very much appreciated.
- Campus Ministry/Recreational: Crossroads is a youth group program on campus every Thursday. We welcome groups who want to help with the program, whether it’s putting on a skit or presenting a music worship session. We also encourage volunteers to involve our kids with activities on our campus. We have a baseball diamond, volleyball and basketball court, and a lot of space to be used!
- Cottage Life/Mentor: Volunteers, upon completing the requirements listed below, could offer our kids the opportunity to be visited on a consistent basis. Tutors are in high demand. We will provide our tutors with a curriculum and all supplies needed to assist our kids with their scholastic struggles.
- Poplar Ridge Stables: If you love horses and kids, there’s a place for you here. Provide care for the horses by maintaining their stables, assist staff with therapy lessons, and handle general tasks associated with this stellar program.
Giving Opportunities at Christian Children's Home of Ohio
Christian Children's Home of Ohio has been one of the state's most fiscally-responsible nonprofit organizations since 1969. We regularly exceed fundraising standards established by the Better Business Bureau's Wise Giving Alliance by directing nearly 80 cents of every revenue dollar to programs and services that serve children and families throughout Ohio.
During these difficult times, will you consider joining with us as a financial partner in order to glorify God and to improve the human condition in our state? Tax deductible contributions of $25, $100, $250 and $1,000, and charitable legacy gifts will ensure that Christian Children's Home of Ohio will be here for individuals and families in need of a helping hand to get back on their feet. Please peruse this page for helpful information on charitable giving. Reaching out and caring for our neighbors in need can be simple, enjoyable and God-honoring when you use a little creativity. Consider these ideas, and your own, to benefit children and families served by our programs in Ohio.
Ways To Give
- Sponsor a Collection Drive. Divide your group into two teams and hold a collection drive contest for personal hygiene products, canned goods or other useful items. At the end of the drive, determine a winner according to how much was collected (by weight or volume).
- Give Up Something for a Month. Do you eat out several times a week? Play golf? Go to the movies? Think of our neighbors in need who cannot afford any of these activities. Give up one of these every month and make a tax-deductible gift.
- Have a Casual Day at Your Office. Set a price for employees to be able to wear jeans to the office one day a week or month and collect cash donations for Christian Children's Home of Ohio's programs that serve children and families in need.
- Save Your Change. It may surprise you to learn how quickly the change in your pocket can add up to a substantial amount of money over a month or longer! This is an easy way to give without noticing the money coming out of your budget.
- Serve on Our Community Committee. This working group plans and produces special events; some to raise funds for projects, others to raise awareness of at-risk children and families. A wonderful opportunity for the creative, marketing-savvy mind!
- Invite Us to Speak. We have staff, volunteers and program graduates available to speak throughout central and northeast Ohio to places of worship, civic and community organizations, and corporations with philanthropic interests. Invite us to inform and inspire your group by contacting us at 330-345-7949, or firstname.lastname@example.org. Or, visit our Speakers Bureau page and complete the inquiry form.
- Sponsor a Volunteer Work Day. Contact us about opportunities to prepare meals or contribute manpower to maintenance projects at our main Wooster campus. Schedule your church group or colleagues to work at a time convenient to you.
- Volunteer Your Time and Talents to Benefit Others. We welcome your time and talents as a volunteer, either individually or part of a group from your church, place of employment, or civic or community organization. Often, we have special needs that may be met by a dedicated group of volunteers, such as on-site work days and collection drives.
- Can You Provide an Item or Two on our Wish List? Christian Children's Home of Ohio engages in life changing work every day, but we can't do it without your help. We regularly accept new and gently used items, including personal hygiene products, nonperishable foods, cleaning supplies and paper goods, to assist us in our service to the children, adults, couples and families that we serve monthly in Ohio. We can provide receipts after items are dropped off if you itemize on your federal tax return.
Christian Children's Home of Ohio
2685 Armstrong Rd.
Wooster, OH 44691